At Mayo Clinic in Arizona, radiation oncologists work with doctors in other specialties to design an individualized course of treatment appropriate for your cancer.
Teams of specialists are organized based on the location of the cancer. Board-certified radiation oncologists are members of each disease site team:
- Central nervous system (brain, neurological)
- Gastrointestinal (anus, colon, rectum, esophagus, hepatobiliary, pancreas, stomach)
- Genitourinary (bladder, kidney, prostate, penis, testis)
- Gynecologic (cervix, ovary, uterus, vulva)
- Head and neck
- Lymphoma, leukemia and myeloma
- Melanoma, other skin cancers
- Sarcoma (bone, soft tissue, abdominal)
Each disease site team is independent, but all teams work together to develop diagnostic and treatment procedures, and guidelines for patient evaluation and care.