Volumes and outcomes
Mayo Clinic doctors' experience and integrated team approach results in transplant outcomes that compare favorably with national averages. Teams work with transplant recipients before, during and after surgery to ensure the greatest likelihood of superior results.
Volumes and statistics are maintained separately for the three Mayo Clinic locations. Taken together or separately, transplant patients at Mayo Clinic enjoy excellent results.
A total of nine solitary pancreas transplants and 26 simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplants were performed at Mayo Clinic in Arizona in 2011. More than 170 of these two types of pancreas transplants have been performed since the program began in 2003.
Mayo Clinic in Florida has completed more than 25 solitary pancreas transplants and more than 115 simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplants since 2000.
Since 1987, Mayo Clinic in Minnesota has completed more than 400 pancreas transplants, including 79 solitary pancreas transplants, 157 simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplants and 176 pancreas-after-kidney transplants.
Each of the links below connects to an external site, the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients, which provides many metrics gathered from transplant programs across the United States.
Pancreas Transplant — Adult
Kidney/Pancreas Transplant — Adult
July 27, 2017
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Pancreas transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- U.S. News & World Report. U.S. News Best Hospitals 2015-16. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Feb. 22, 2016.
- Robertson RP. Pancreas and islet cell transplantation in diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- Klein C, et al. Benefits and complications associated with kidney-pancreas transplantation in diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Planning for your transplant: A financial guide. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2016.
- Eggebraaten KR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 18, 2016.
- Heilman RL, et al. Immunosuppression in simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation. Drugs. 2010;70:793.
- Lu B, et al. Beta-cell targeted gene delivery for enhanced beta-cell proliferation. Human Gene Therapy. 2015;26:A63.
- Stulak JM, et al. Combined heart and abdominal organ transplantation: Excellent outcomes gained from a unique experience. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2014;33(suppl):S278.
- Kudva YC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 14, 2016.
- Pancreas Transplant. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/pancreastx. Accessed April 12, 2016.
Pancreas Transplant Program