OverviewBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Obstetrical care is offered only at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. The Division of Obstetrics offers expert, personalized care for women before, during and after pregnancy. The division is comprised of board-certified physicians in Obstetrics and Gynecology and Certified Nurse Midwives.
The nature of Mayo's integrated practice easily allows collaboration with specialists in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Medical Genetics, Reproductive Endocrinology and other medical and surgical specialties, as needed.
Physicians in Obstetrics have expertise in:
- Preterm labor or Preterm premature rupture of membranes (PPROM)
- Gestational diabetes
- Gestational hypertension, preeclampsia
- Fetal malpresentation, previous shoulder dystocia
- Previous cesarean section for consideration of vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC)
- Multifetal gestation
- Intrauterine growth restriction (baby growing poorly during pregnancy)
- Oligohydramnios, polyhydramnios (too little or too much amniotic fluid)
- Advanced maternal age (mother older than 35 years at delivery)
- Grand multiparity (more than five pregnancies)
- Maternal/fetal medical and surgical conditions often in collaboration with other specialists