Mayo Clinic's Department of Medical Genetics includes experienced board-certified medical geneticists and certified genetic counselors. Using a comprehensive team approach, we work with all age groups and levels of complexity, tailoring care to each individual's needs.
The number of diseases found to have a genetic basis is increasing. So, medical genetics plays a vital role in determining the risks of developing certain diseases as well as screening and preventive treatment.
Highly skilled experts in Mayo's Department of Medical Genetics in Minnesota:
- Provide diagnostic workup of rare and inherited conditions
- Provide genetics evaluation of hereditary cancer syndromes
- Take a comprehensive family history
- Educate patients and families about familial diseases
- Offer counseling for family members (affected and unaffected) to improve understanding of how a genetic disorder may affect them and to help them plan a family
- Provide access to the latest testing techniques, when medically appropriate, such as whole-exome sequencing, to identify genetic variants
Why choose Mayo Clinic
In addition to the expertise and vast experience of Mayo Clinic's experts, the Department of Medical Genetics in Minnesota:
- Is known for excellence in patient-centered care
- Works closely with Mayo Clinic's Center for Individualized Medicine so you can benefit from the latest research and knowledge of personalized medicine
- Offers a variety of unique specialty clinics staffed by genetics experts
- Collaborates with Mayo's state-of-the-art on-site Division of Laboratory Genetics, including biochemical genetics, molecular genetics and cytogenetics
- Provides opportunities to participate in genetic research studies to improve overall patient care