Experiences similar to friends who have worn braces.
- Your friends who have had braces will be a good source of information and support.
- Your orthodontist and his or her staff will also be an excellent source of information.
- Your care will be coordinated between your family dentist and orthodontist. This is of paramount importance.
- You will receive special instruction on how to clean your teeth.
- Your braces or appliances will have to be adjusted approximately every 4-6 weeks.
- You may experience mild soreness or pressure during the first few weeks in braces and for a few days after adjustments at subsequent office visits.
- Initially, your cheeks, lips, and even tongue can get sore from the irritation of having the braces on. Usually this is gone after the first few days.
- Your time in braces may be from 6-36 months depending on the complexity of treatment.