The Mayo Clinic Cardiovascular Outreach Program works closely with community physicians in Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin to provide quality care for patients with cardiovascular problems. As a tertiary referral center, Mayo Clinic collaborates with community physicians, providing complex cardiovascular diagnostic services and treatments. A tradition of excellence and commitment to providing convenient, accessible service enhance patient care.
Physician consultation services
Experienced Mayo Clinic cardiovascular specialists provide on-site consultations, scheduled at regular intervals. In addition, a cardiovascular physician is on call 24 hours a day for emergency phone consultations. The Cardiovascular Outreach Program (COP) also provides a telemedicine link to certain outreach sites to allow for distance-based consultations. The use of telemedicine has enhanced the real-time delivery of Mayo Clinic subspecialty care to the participating sites.
State-of-the-art technological services also are available for cardiovascular patients through the Cardiovascular Outreach Program (COP).
- ECG Outreach Services — ECG Outreach offers prompt ECG interpretation, full on-site training, equipment and ongoing quality customer support programs.
- Echo Outreach Services — Echo Outreach provides on-site echocardiography services, rapid turnaround on study interpretation and reports, over-reading of echo images, timely referral appointments and a quality assurance program.
- Mobile Nuclear Medicine Lab — The COP's mobile laboratory offers regularly scheduled service and trained personnel to perform cardiac diagnostic testing. General nuclear medicine studies are also available.
- Telemedicine Consultations — Similar to a face-to-face appointment, a telemedicine consultation takes place through an interactive audiovisual connection between the patient in his or her community clinic and a Mayo Clinic cardiovascular physician in Rochester, Minn.
- Education and Support Programs — Continuing education opportunities for physicians, nurses and other health care professionals are offered on-site or at Mayo Clinic.
Benefits of using the COP
The Cardiovascular Outreach Program provides appropriate care close to home by offering specialized cardiovascular consultations within community clinics. Much more than a referral service, the Outreach Program collaborates with community physicians for comprehensive patient care. Mayo cardiovascular physicians keep in contact with primary physicians after consultations, providing timely communication and additional support. The relationship between the Mayo physician and primary doctor also provides a convenient link for referring patients to Mayo Clinic, if needed.
To learn more about these services, please call 800-228-3238 (toll-free) and speak with Cardiovascular Outreach office staff:
- R. Scott Wright, M.D. — Medical Director, Cardiology Outreach
- Carol Jaworski, R.N. — Outreach Coordinator
- Peg Sherman, R.N., M.S. — Outreach Coordinator