All three Mayo Clinic locations offer diagnostic and treatment services for people who have breast changes or problems ranging from benign breast conditions to breast cancer.
The breast clinics provide comprehensive care for people who have breast cancer and other high-risk breast conditions. Doctors at Mayo Clinic also evaluate several other breast conditions, including:
- Abnormal mammogram and new or suspicious lumps
- Breast cancer risk assessment and family history of breast cancer
- Enlarged breasts (gynecomastia) in men
- Noncancerous (benign) breast disease, atypical, ductal and lobular hyperplasia and lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS)
- Other breast problems such as changes in breast skin, nipple discharge, breast infection and breast pain
Mayo Clinic can schedule you for a biopsy and have your results ready within 24 to 72 hours, reducing your waiting time and the need for multiple visits. Mayo Clinic doctors diagnose breast abnormalities and provide many services including:
- Breast cancer screening
- Mammography, ultrasound, MRI-guided breast biopsy and other services
- Surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, biological treatments, hormone therapy and other treatments for breast cancer
- Breast cancer prevention counseling
- Genetic counseling for people who are at high risk for breast cancer
- Access to experimental therapies as part of clinical trials for people who have breast cancer
- Patient education and breast cancer survivorship programs
Breast specialists at Mayo Clinic work with doctors trained in breast surgery, breast imaging, medical cancer treatment (oncology), the study of tissue samples for signs of disease (pathology), radiation therapy for cancer (radiation oncology), plastic surgery, genetics, nursing and psychology to diagnose and treat breast conditions.