Doctors in the Breast Diagnostic Clinic evaluate many people who have various breast conditions such as:
- Abnormal mammogram and new or suspicious lumps
- New diagnosis of breast cancer
- Breast cancer risk assessment and family history of breast cancer
- Noncancerous breast disease, including atypical, ductal or lobular hyperplasia and lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS)
- Other breast problems such as changes in breast skin, nipple discharge, breast infection and breast pain
- Enlarged breasts (gynecomastia) or new lumps in men
Breast specialists at Mayo Clinic work with you to develop a comprehensive care plan for your breast conditions. The plan includes an evaluation by doctors trained in medical image interpretation and performing biopsies using MRI, ultrasound or stereotactic guidance (radiology), medical cancer treatment (oncology), human tissue study (pathology), surgery, radiation therapy for cancer (radiation oncology), plastic surgery, genetics and psychology diagnose and treat breast conditions.
Doctors from the Breast Diagnostic Clinic coordinate needed services, from imaging to pathology and surgery, to ensure a quick and efficient evaluation. You receive most of your care in one facility, making care convenient. You can receive a biopsy and your results within 24 to 72 hours, which reduces your waiting time and the need for multiple visits.