Questions to Ask Before Cosmetic Surgery
Questions for the patient to consider before pursuing cosmetic surgery:
- What are my motives for wanting to change how I look?
What are the specific attributes of my appearance that I want to change?
Do I have realistic expectations about the results of the surgery?
What aspects of my life will be affected such as family, work, travel and social
What time in my life will work best so that I have the greatest chance for a successful recovery?
Have I talked about my concerns and questions openly with my health care provider?
Questions to ask the cosmetic surgeon:
It is a good idea to bring a notepad to write down answers.
- What are your qualifications?
- How long have you been board-certified?
- How many procedures have you done similar to the one I'm considering?
- What other health care professionals are involved in my care?
- What side effects can I expect?
- What results can I expect?
- What are the possible complications of the cosmetic surgery I am considering?
- What kind of help will I need at home following surgery?
- How long before I see the final results of my surgery?
- How long before I can go back to work and/or resume exercise?
- Are there complications unique to my health history?
- Will I have any scars and if yes, what will they look like?
- If my procedure requires stitches, when will they be removed?
- How much does the procedure cost?
Questions to ask about a procedure:
- What does the procedure do? What does it not do?
- What are the risks and complications associated with this procedure?
- How long is the recovery period?
- Can I expect much discomfort?
- Will I have scars?
- Are there other procedures I should consider at the same time?
- Will I need a physical examination prior to surgery?
- How long will the results last?
- How much does it cost?