Mayo Clinic researchers contribute significantly to the development of early detection, prevention, diagnostic and treatment strategies for colon and rectal (colorectal) cancer. Current research areas include:
- Studying drugs to prevent the development of colorectal cancer
- Researching less invasive colorectal cancer screening procedures
- Investigating new drugs or combinations of drugs to treat colorectal cancer and prevent the spread or recurrence
- Studying risk factors for colorectal cancer
- Learning how to best communicate the risk of colorectal cancer to at-risk family members
- Searching for additional genes and genetic mechanisms that are associated with or cause colon and rectal cancer
See a list of publications by Mayo doctors on colon cancer on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.