Care, Commitment, Courage
How "the Mayo Effect" changed the lives of five patients
For more than 100 years, people have found answers at Mayo Clinic. In 2011, Mayo Clinic was privileged to serve over one million individual patients from all walks of life — each with an intensely personal, individual story.
This year we are sharing the stories of five patients whose lives were changed by the Mayo Effect. Their stories of courage and commitment demonstrate the power of the Mayo Effect.
- "Considering where he was, I am amazed. To have a child almost taken away, and then given back — it's like a second birth."
- "We knew that Christopher wasn't dying in vain; that his death would mean something."
- "Sheila has been an inspiration to me and everyone she comes in contact with."
- "I tried everything to get rid of the pain — physical therapy, epidural injections, yoga. Nothing worked. I finally thought, 'I'm 27 years old. I'm not giving up on my life.'"
- "I persevered in wanting to sing again, and today I am fully recovered. I can actually handle higher notes now. I received first-rate treatment, which contributed to the new chance at life that I have today."