Mayo's unique Model of Care
Why patients come to Mayo Clinic
The Mayo Model of Care is a set of principles that guided the Mayo brothers' practice in the early years of Mayo Clinic. These principles have been refined over more than a century of caring and are alive today in the way we care for each patient who seeks the best that medicine has to offer.
The Mayo Clinic Model of Care is why patients come to Mayo Clinic. It is what sets us apart:
- The team approach to care — where doctors from multiple disciplines work to solve complex health concerns.
- The coordination of care — with one physician managing and coordinating with the referring physician.
- The unhurried examinations — where doctors take the time to listen.
- The scheduling of multiple appointments in a short time frame — for the convenience of the patient.
The Mayo Model of Care guides every decision we make, every interaction with a patient, every communication with a colleague. It applies to every member of the Mayo team
Model of Care elements
- Teamwork. Mayo Clinic physicians, allied health staff, support staff and all employees work together to put the needs of the patient first.
- Respect. Mayo Clinic treats the whole patient, not just the disease.
- Innovation. Mayo Clinic has the largest translational research facilities anywhere, translating research into patient care.
- Culture. Physicians lead Mayo Clinic, a safeguard that helps keep patients' needs foremost. Physicians are paid a salary to eliminate any financial pressure from patient care decisions. This compensation model allows a focus on quality, not quantity. Any profit from the proceeds of the practice is reinvested in education, research and patient care.
- Quality. Mayo Clinic provides the most advanced, innovative diagnostic and therapeutic technology and techniques. Physicians take time to listen and consider all aspects of patient's health, not just symptoms. Mayo Clinic physicians manage complex care and provide access to specialists when needed.
- Scholarship. Mayo Clinic is one of the top research centers in the country for neurology/neurosciences, endocrinology, metabolism and digestive diseases. Our scientists and doctors are leaders in medical genomics as well as cardiovascular, transplantation and cancer research.