Cancer Treatment Areas
Volunteers provide support to patients while they are receiving cancer treatment by offering refreshments, reading material and conversation.
Volunteers can staff two areas: Outpatient Chemotherapy (Gonda 10) and Radiation Therapy.
- Friendly, welcoming and positive attitude
- Able and willing to refer patient questions about condition or medication directly to staff
- Treat diverse patients and their families with respect and empathy
- Emotionally able to interact with very ill patients as they receive treatments
- Available to listen if patient desires to talk
- Ability to handle hot liquids
- Ability to stand and walk, pushing a refreshment cart over a period of two hours
- Avoid volunteering if ill due to patients' suppressed immune system
- Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services