Students ages 14 to 18 are eligible for Mayo Clinic Young Volunteers.
- Application process. As a first step, call the Mayo Clinic Young Volunteers office at 507-284-1545 to discuss the program's requirements, including its time commitment. If you believe the requirements seem achievable, the office will ask you for basic information, such as your name, mailing address, phone number, email address and grade level. Mayo Clinic Young Volunteers will then mail you a packet with a cover letter, reference forms and program brochure.
- Waiting list. It's not uncommon for the program to have a waiting list, as volunteers come from Rochester, Minn., and its many surrounding communities. Your reference forms are filed once you return them to the Mayo Clinic Young Volunteers office within the time frame noted in the cover letter. When slots become available in the program, Mayo Clinic Young Volunteers staff will contact people on the waiting list to schedule an interview.
- Interviews. Prospective volunteers take part in a 30-minute interview in the Siebens Building, 14th Floor. If you are accepted into the program, you'll have to complete an application, provide information for a criminal background check, and review a confidentiality training handbook and complete a quiz about it. This paperwork is due before orientation.
- Orientation. Orientation materials, dates and times are provided during your interview. Orientation sessions are held in the Siebens Building, 14th Floor.
- Health screening. At orientation, you'll receive details about scheduling an appointment at Mayo Clinic Employee Occupational Health Services to review your immunization record and complete a tuberculosis skin test. You will not be able to participate in Mayo Clinic Young Volunteers if you bypass your in-person visit to Mayo Clinic Employee Occupational Health Services.
- Service training. When you've completed Mayo Clinic Employee Occupational Health Services requirements — which must be done during the time frame you were given at orientation — contact the Mayo Clinic Young Volunteers office. Your volunteer shift day and service area training will then be scheduled.