Returning High School Students: How to Apply
Mayo Clinic's High School Student Summer Volunteer Program provides students between the ages of 15 and 18 with opportunities to volunteer in both clinic and hospital settings. The 2017 program runs for eight weeks from Monday, June 5, through Friday, July 28, 2017.
If you participated in the 2016 summer program, you are invited to apply for the 2017 program.
Student volunteers must be available to volunteer during regular business hours (Monday through Friday) and are assigned one weekly four-hour shift. This equates to 32 hours of volunteer service during the summer. Additional shifts may be added as space allows and at the discretion of Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services. Volunteers may not serve more than 12 hours a week.
The purpose of the High School Student Summer Volunteer Program is to provide service to Mayo Clinic employees and ultimately to Mayo Clinic patients. Other than the educational activities organized by volunteer services, participants in the High School Student Summer Volunteer Program are not permitted to engage in shadowing or observing of Mayo Clinic staff.
Returning students must be available to attend the mandatory orientation session on Saturday, April 29, 2017.
Eligible to reapply are students who:
- Have met the program requirements for the 2016 program
- Have not yet started college
- Are committed to the eight weeks of service between June 5 and July 28, 2017
Ineligible to reapply are students who:
- Are currently attending college
- Cannot complete the minimum service requirements
- Plan to be absent during the eight-week period between June 5 and July 28, 2017
- Are unable to attend the mandatory orientation session on Saturday, April 29, 2017
- Complete the application form:
- Print out the application and sign it.
- Return your completed and signed forms no later than Feb. 24, 2017.
- To submit your application, scan and email to Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services at email@example.com, or fax to 480-342-2141.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee placement into the program.
- If accepted into the program, you will receive a letter in the mail inviting you to attend the orientation session on Saturday, April 29, 2017.
- Complete the one-step tuberculosis (TB) skin test (no charge). This will require a follow-up visit to the Occupational Medicine department on Monday, May 1, 2017.
- Complete the required post-orientation paperwork.
- Attend a mandatory service area training session on Thursday, June 1, 2017, at the Scottsdale campus of Mayo Clinic or on Friday, June 2, 2017, at Mayo Clinic Hospital on the Phoenix campus.
Note: Failure to complete both the TB skin test and required paperwork within the designated time frame will result in disqualification from the program.
Verification of hours
Upon successful completion of the summer program, a letter of verification will be provided to you that states the period of time you volunteered, the total number of hours and the service area in which you volunteered.
After 100 hours, a letter of recommendation may also be provided to you, but letters are provided only to volunteers who are in good standing based on performance, commitment and work ethic. The decision to provide a letter of recommendation is at the discretion of the volunteer management team. Note that the department is not obligated to write you a recommendation letter.
Contact Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services.