The purpose of the volunteer program at Mayo Clinic is to provide service to Mayo Clinic patients, guests and staff. College volunteers are not engaged in direct patient care and will not be permitted to engage in shadowing or observation of Mayo Clinic staff.
Volunteering at Mayo Clinic should not be viewed as a means of obtaining employment. If you are seeking a paid position, visit Jobs at Mayo Clinic to search and apply for open positions.
Volunteer positions are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. There are limited evening and weekend opportunities available at the Phoenix campus only.
Applicants must be able to commit to a weekly four-hour shift (same day and time each week) for a 12-month period. We will be unable to accommodate any schedule changes during this period.
College volunteers will be placed in a pre-determined service area. Upon completion of their initial 12-month commitment, college volunteers may request to be reassigned to another service area, depending on availability.
College volunteers may request a letter of reference upon completion of 12 months of service.
Who should apply
Eligible college students must be:
- Undergraduate, graduate or continuing education students who are in their sophomore year or later
- Committed to a minimum of 12 months of service
Who should not apply
Ineligible are students who:
- Are looking to volunteer a limited number of hours in order to fulfill the requirements of a class or for any other reason
- Cannot complete the minimum service requirements
- Are not able to attend a general orientation session, which is usually scheduled on the fourth Tuesday of each month from 1 to 4:30 p.m.
If you wish to participate as a college volunteer, complete the application and additional forms.
The application and four supplemental application documents must be completed and received by Volunteer Services prior to the dates indicated below for the remaining 2015 volunteer orientation sessions.
|Upcoming orientation sessions
||Deadline for application and supplemental documents
|Note: Orientations are not held in November or December.
|Aug. 25, 2015
||July 15, 2015
|Sept. 29, 2015
||Aug. 15, 2015
|Oct. 27, 2015
||Sept. 15, 2015
Forms may be returned via mail, fax or email to:
- Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services
13400 E. Shea Blvd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85259
- Fax: 480-301-4110
- Email: email@example.com
Submission of an application does not guarantee placement into the program. This is because there are typically more students interested in volunteering than our program can accommodate.
If you are accepted into the program, Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services will contact you to schedule an interview. You will then be required to attend a general orientation. Orientations are usually scheduled for the fourth Tuesday of each month from 1 to 4:30 p.m.
Following the orientation, you will need to:
- Pass the background check.
- Complete a two-step tuberculosis (TB) skin test (no charge), which will require a follow-up visit to the Occupational Medicine department. A positive result may require additional blood work. Note: Failure to complete the TB skin test within the designated time frame will result in disqualification from the program.
- Complete the volunteer training program.