Community activities in Arizona
Mayo Clinic's campus in Arizona is proud of its many connections to the Greater Phoenix communities, including training local physicians to provide better care for their patients, partnering with community organizations to make health care more accessible and supporting staff members who give selflessly of their time to serve those in need.
Requests for community partnership or sponsorship from Mayo — financial, in-kind and human resources — are reviewed and prioritized by the Community and Business Relations Work Group (CBRWG). Requests that meet specific requirements are considered for support.
In 2014, the CBRWG supported more than 70 partnership and sponsorship requests. Additionally, Mayo Clinic employees volunteered to walk and run in multiple community fundraising events. Mayo Clinic donates $25 for each employee participant to the sponsoring organization of these events.
Mayo Clinic supports food banks and meal programs for the underserved through the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, a not-for-profit organization that provides meals to the homeless. Mayo Clinic clinical staff members also volunteer at the St. Vincent de Paul medical and dental clinics.
Mayo Clinic spearheads a collaborative effort at the East Valley Men's Center, which serves homeless men, to provide knee-to-foot wellness exams. In addition to the free exams, more than 100 pairs of free boots have been distributed to the center's residents.
In 2014 Mayo began a new outreach to Circle the City Respite Facility for the Homeless, a respite facility for homeless men and women who are not sick enough to remain in the hospital and too sick to return to homelessness.
Mayo Clinic volunteers also participated in a number of diversity interest group events:
Aug. 13, 2015
- Children's Pajama and Book Drive
- Cesar Chavez Foundation Celebration Dinner
- Salsa Challenge
- Back-to-school drives
- Scottsdale Community Celebrating Diversity MLK Annual Celebration & Dinner
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Black & White Ball
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses Masquerade Ball
- Halloween Party Canned Food Drive
- Diamondbacks Spring Training
- St. Patrick's Day Celebration
- Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts activities
- ASU Gammage Theater productions
- Dragon Boat Festival
- East Valley Men's Center Dinner Night
- Diversity Leadership Alliance Annual Conference